Thursday, May 2, 2013

Putting in Wells and Putting Up Food

Good morning!

Yesterday did not go as I had planned, but truly that is not a problem :).  Things rarely go as I plan, and I consider plans more of a.....POTENTIAL path that is easily put aside when the Lord chooses something different for my day.


In this case, the grocery trip took much longer than expected, but what a wonderful trip it was!  I chatted with one of the workers getting carts from the parking lot.  I carefully chose flowers (a small indulgement--they are so inexpensive here!).  I went to the bakery section to chose another indulgement--petit fours.  Ever since I was a child, petit fours have been a very favorite and rare treat.  Tiny little beautiful squares, delicately decorated with bits of icing to look like small flowers or carrots (for the carrot cake one ), biting through the slightly stiff shell to reveal impossibly thin layers of cake and icing--strata of happiness in one bite.  The bakery person puts them in a pretty little white box and I carry them through the store on my purse in the top of the buggy so they will not get crushed.  They are my treat for the way home, as I invariably miss out on lunch when grocery shopping.  However, eating gorgeous mini cakes in my truck with music and the warm sun streaming through the windows is about as glorious a meal as I can think of, so I am content.


When I got home, everyone helped me get the groceries inside and put away.  I set Precious to organizing the alstromeria and tiny cottage roses in antique pink and cream that I had bought.  I was planning to get started making the spaghetti sauce for the lasagne, the biscuits for TWS's breakfasts, and others.  Then, however, TWS asked if I would accompany him to the county courthouse to get some registration done.  When he asks me to go, I pretty much never say no, unless there is a very pressing matter (I feel ill, someone coming by, etc).  I am so thankful that he still wants to spend time with me, that I can easily put aside the idea of getting started cooking (which I was eager to do :) ).  I asked if he would prefer me cook or go with him.  I find that helps both of us choose wisely.


And what a blessing THAT trip was too!  The county courthouse is in the middle of the town square. The drive there is a parade of old churches and small antebellum homes with perfectly manicured yards and outrageous blooms of azaleas, iris, and roses.  There was a bit of consternation trying to park the big truck and trailer in the tiny parking lot, but the Lord provided a perfect slot.


I will not bore you with details about the courthouse, but I do want to say that I LOVE living in the south!  Everyone is so kind and chatty and helpful.  I had forgotten how incredibly open people are here.  I finally feel less out of place--while the people of Alaska and the military are both two sets of incredible wonderful people, the south offers an openness that one just does not find many other places.  The DMV is like a meeting of an unusual, but enjoyable, group of people who are all into paperwork and cars :).


Long story short, today is the day for the massive cook.  It is also the day where TWS will have to turn off my water for 2 hours to fix our water pressure regulator.  Hmm...ah well, this is  part of the fun of life--overcoming obstacles :).


No comments:

Post a Comment