Sunday, May 26, 2013

Mudbug Traps Part Deux

Good Morning Sweet friend!  It always makes me happy when you stop by :)

That might seem odd....how would I know if you stopped by?  But in fact, you reading this makes me happy.  I might not know when you read it, but if you are here, that gives me great joy indeed :)

Are you wondering what happened to the crawfish trap I made?  Let me show you

Sooper and I rowing out to set the trap.  We baited it with a can of cat food that I had punched multiple holes in.
 
Carefully lowering the trap in the water.  We tied cord to it and towed the end of the cord to Precious.

 
And now we wait.....
 
The next morning.  I was so excited, I could hardly wait til the kids were ready to go with me to see!
 
Drawing the trap in and....
 
Fish.


No worries!  I rebaited the trap with the fish and the cat food and toted the trap to the upper pond.
 
Got a bit of a snarl.  Since this pond is much smaller, I just towed the trap kitty-corner across the pond to get it past the reeds.

Closing the end of the trap with the heavy paper clip.
 
 
Then the next morning....
 
YAY!  Three crawdads!  Now, these are not big enough to eat, however, it lets me know that a)my trap is sound :) and b)the upper pond anyway will support crawdads.  Now I need to see if these are as big as they get, or if I need to stock a different type.  I think there is less predation in the upper pond as there are no bass and catfish.

 
Don't make me go all Cajun on you, cher! :)
 

1 comment: