Sunday, May 26, 2013

One Huge Watermelon

Hello my friend!!  I am so glad you are here to chat with!

Today we have planned to have what I call our "Pro Bass Tourney".  Basically we are going to use today to get a bunch of catfish and bass out of the pond.  I will be manning the filleting table and putting up the fish, while everyone else fishes :)  I hope to get a lot of catfish in the freezer!

Whilst waiting for the boy to wake up for our fishing day, I decided to cut up some watermelon we had.   I do not like to waste what seems to be something useful, so I cut up the good main part of the melon with an ice cream scoop and put it in a big bowl for snacking.  It will look so cute to have a "scoop" of melon in a teacup!  It was hard to get to the rind with the ice cream scoop, but that is not a problem because then I sliced the watermelon rind into small sections.  I took off the rest of the pink flesh and whatever part of the rind that came with it and put that on a cookie sheet to freeze.  These will be chunks that I will put into smoothies.  Since I usually add other juices, cream, etc to smoothies, the sort of watered down taste of the fruit by the rind will not be a problem at all.  It will give a nice body and some fiber to our smoothies--much better than just using ice cubes!

Then I cut the green off of what was left of the rind.  I put the tough green outside part for the trash, and the inner rind I cut into chunks to make watermelon pickles or preserves.  All this gave me lots of time to warm up my knife skills for the filleting today

During this process I kept pouring off the juice.  At the end, those went into popcicle molds in case we need a little melon popcicle :)

Need to run go get fishing!  Talk to you soon! :)

1 comment:

  1. I make frozen watermelon daiquiris with my frozen watermelon chunks. If the watermelon is really sweet all you add is rum. YUMMY..Coconut rum is REALLY good in this.

    ReplyDelete