Sunday, June 9, 2013

Pouring Rain

Good morning dear!!

Well, this is a fine bit of rain we are having!  The first band of thunderstorms has rolled on through, leaving a lighter sky and a soggy ground.  We have a weather station that TWS bought for me which literally reads "It's raining cats and dogs" when the rain gets heavy :).

It was so wonderful to sit in the sunroom and listen to the thunder rattle and bluster through the sky.  I love morning thunderstorms.  They are such an energizing and magnificent way to start the day.

This does keep some of our plans at bay....well not mine.  I am glad that it rained, as my plan was to iron and do laundry.  I love to iron--there is something about fresh, clean clothes, about taking something wrinkled and making it pretty.  I am trying to decide if I will put in Pride and Prejudice or Swamp People to watch as I work.

Very early this morning, about 3 or 4, TWS and I awoke.  After a while, we realized that sleep was futile and decided to arise.  We needed to watch a webinar on business taxes.  Why am I telling you this?  Because it is part of owning the farm, and I want to share my full farming experience :).  We have formed an LLC to protect ourselves from liability.  We used LegalZoom, and so far we are pretty pleased with the work they have done on our behalf.  They had sent us a time to watch a webinar, but we missed the time (farm work comes first!), and watched the replay.  I must say that the webinar made business taxes seem less daunting, but I am still thankful that that is TWS's cat, not mine. 

Oh I planted my magnolia yesterday!  Well, TWS planted it, I was running to the house to get the biting ants out from under my skirt (yet another part of farm life that is not as pinterest-y as others :) ).  The only tree or plant that I dearly wanted in the south that I had not gotten yet was a magnolia.  When one of our asian pears died, we were able to return it to the nursery for my new tree.  It already has a bud on it!

I put it at the edge of the walking garden.  Ah...about the walking garden....

I am realizing that my plans are....ambitious for the first year.  Whilst we have been very diligent and hard working, we will have neither the time nor the funds to turn every dream we have into reality in the first few months :).  I had grand plans for our side yard to make a walking garden--perhaps with an English flair, or overblooming in Southern generous profusion.  At this point I am content just to get the hay cut in that area of the yard :).  It will not be lined with flowers and hardscape for now, BUT the trees are magnificent in that part of the yard.  Couple that with flat green grass, and it will be a delightful place to wander and meander.  I plan to add beds and such later, as well as transplant many of the bushes and natural plants that we have around here.

So my plan for this year is, God willing:  get the house unpacked, including the library and the barn.  Finish the greenhouse for the tomatoes.  Perhaps finish removing the rocks from the flower beds.  Get the berries and orchard on firm footing.  Take care of the pond. Get all irrigation laid out and ready (this is done).  Explore the land to see what is available to me in terms of plants, rocks, etc.

Next year:  add crawfish to upper pond, add mayhaws to the wet parts of our land, focus on garden, perhaps start remodeling the house (repaint a few rooms).

I think that is better.  No sense in trying to exhaust ourselves this first year. :)  



No comments:

Post a Comment