Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Farm Update- Greenhouse

Good morning sweet baby!

I had a little cajun great great grandma and that is what she called people--sweet baby.  As in "Sweet baby, have you passed the rag over your face this mornin'?" (washed your face) or "Sweet baby, come down off your car and come here" (get out of your car and come inside :) ).

Our little cockatiel has a new habit.  He shrieks until I uncover him, then he immediately gives me a wolf whistle!  It is kinda nice to know my bird thinks I am pretty, even if my make up isn't on :)

The builder of our greenhouse came the other day to deliver shade cloth.  The sun is so warm here in Alabama that the greenhouse, even with the sides open, gets over 100 degrees.  The tomatoes will not pollinate that warm, so they brought shade cloth to help reduce the amount of sun that enters the greenhouse.

While he was there, he saw the improvements that TWS made to the design and function of the greenhouse and was completely impressed.  So much so that yesterday one of the owners of the company called and said he had heard about what TWS had done and wanted to come out and see it.  When Publix comes to inspect greenhouses, they will probably be brought to ours.  That makes me feel good, as TWS works so hard and is so brilliant--I am glad that he is being recognized for his efforts.  In fact, the owner suggested they might bring him on as a consultant at some point!

There have been times during this process of working with other people when I have been extremely frustrated.  Actually I have been downright het up sometimes.  However, I am working on being forbearing and letting the Lord take care of things.  The other morning I was praying because the type of tomatoes we got, Sakura Honey, are grape tomatoes, not full sized.  While investigating the yields, I found that they were not as productive as I was thinking, and I could not imagine that this first year of our farm would be profitable.  However, I prayed and turned that over to the Lord (and then fret and take it back, then pray and turn it over...it takes me a while sometimes :) ).  The Lord filled me with such calm and definite assurance, that I am resolved not to fret.  No matter what happens, He is in control.  While I sometimes want to stomp my feet and be the proverbial shrieking wheel ;) to get what I want, in the long run, what is most important is winning souls, soothing burdens, and not doing anything that might reflect badly on the Lord.

Anyway, I am excited about this and have a newfound sense of calm :)

One of the upgrades that TWS did was to attach fencing around the outside of the greenhouse.  Not a moment too soon, incidentally, as last night he went to check the greenhouse and there was a deer!  We have many deer here, and his research showed that they may or may not eat tomatoes, but if they do, they will most likely decimate them.  The only openings were the front and back door, as TWS is still designing and building them.  As a stopgap, he placed an A-frame ladder in each doorway and "booby trapped" them with things that would make a noise.  He also used my crawfish trap under one ladder and a large bin under the other.  It would have to be a very determined and level headed deer to blow through those. :)

What else...OH!  My little baby magnolia has bloomed!  I will take a photo of it and show you.  AND we got our first bloom on one of the tomato plants.

We also went to Lowes and found that they had most of  their flowering and fruiting trees on half price.  I, of course, wanted to buy a ton of peaches, but we settled for two peaches and two figs.  One of the peaches will go in the hole where our dead asian pear was, but the other, I think, will go on the other side of the yard with the figs and the honey berries near the walking garden.  I think having refreshment as one walks is a good idea :).

I hope you have a blessed day!


No comments:

Post a Comment