Friday, January 24, 2014

Softest, Shiniest Hair!

My sweet friend!

I believe in taking care of our appearance.  Not in terms of being vain--not at all!  However, taking reasonable care of our appearance--looking neat, orderly, and appealing--I think is a good thing.

I also love long hair.  There is something so beautiful about long hair on a girl or woman.  I think at each stage of life, long, well-kept hair provides such a statement about femininity, creativity, strength, glory, order, and vigor.  I do not think I ever feel as pretty and winsome as when my hair blows in the wind across my face.  When I face the wind and feel it comb my hair away from my face, that just feels like a soft caress from a loved one.  Perhaps it is!  Perhaps the Lord is tenderly brushing my hair back with the wind He created.

However, with long hair, or any hair for that matter, winter and curling and air conditioning and swimming and other activities can leave hair looking dull and feeling ..."crunchy".

A couple of years ago, I had happened upon, by the mercy of the Lord, an easy regimen that is amazingly wonderful for my hair!  It worked fantastically, but then I stopped doing it and my hair  turned to straw from the chlorine and the dryness of winter.  Let me tell you about it....

Dove Whipped Mousse, CHI silk infusion, and clips.

At night, after I have washed my hair and it has dried slightly, I use Dove whipped cream mousse and CHI silk infusion.  I put about two ping pong balls worth of mousse in my hand (I have a lot of long hair).  Then I drizzle CHI silk infusion over it and mix it in my hand with my finger.  Then I work it in all through my hair.  I comb my hair to make it straight, part my hair, then take bits of hair and twist it around my fingers like doing a pin curl.  Instead of using bobby pins, I just use clips to secure the curl.  I do this to all of my hair and then go to sleep!

In the morning, I take out all the pins and have, truly, the softest hair I have ever felt on a person, falling in pretty  curls.  I let them just stay as they are for a few minutes without combing or styling until I am sure the curls are dry and set.  Now, if I want to have no curls, just waves, then it is easy to comb them out and have just full pretty waves.  Or if I want to keep curls, I loosely finger comb my hair, then use a real comb around the top of my head to make the top lay neat (I love the 40's retro look of neat hair that turns into full curls).

I will say this:  Be prepared for sticker shock with the CHI.  However, a bottle lasts for months, even with as long of hair as I have.  So averaging the price out, it is about the same as how much you would spend buying a mid priced conditioner for the same amount of time.  You might start with the little bottle to see if you like it. 

I was worried that TWS might not appreciate my nighttime look of all the clips, but he thinks it is cute :)  I think he gets a kick out of the retro-ness of it :).  The clips are so easy to sleep in--much more comfortable than rag rolling or using sponge curlers.

If your hair is shorter or you do not want curls, then you can either just put this mix on and sleep on it (perhaps wrapping your hair to keep the treatment on) or, if your hair is long enough, braid it instead of using the clips.  However, do try the clips sometime as it makes lovely waves and body the more you comb it out.

How well does this work?  The difference between my hair two weeks ago and my hair today is astounding.  Two weeks ago I honestly thought I would have to cut a few inches off as it was getting so dry and straw-like.  It was dull and stiff and unpleasant.  It felt crunchy even wet in the shower!

After a few nights (you have to be diligent with this!), my hair is now so much softer that I can even feel a difference when I wash it!  It is at least 4 times more shiny and 100% softer than it was two weeks ago.

I have found that, once your hair is nicely conditioned again, you may skip a day or two, but that you need to get back to at least putting the mousse and silk infusion in it and braiding it. (braiding and curling keep the conditioners from rubbing off or evaporating too quickly and keeps the hair neat).

One last hint:   if you do the curls with the clips, make sure you start wrapping the curls around your fingers at the very tips of your hair.  Otherwise your hair will have these beautiful waves then two inches of straight hair, which is not very pretty :) 

It takes a couple of nights of practice to get quick with wrapping the curls around your fingers, but soon you can whip your hair into clips in just a few minutes.

Do try this for a week :)  I think you will be amazed!

No comments:

Post a Comment