Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Resting On Purpose

I have found in myself a restlessness, a guilt, even a pride--as if it was more noble to ignore the blessing of rest that God gives in order to look more pious or fruitful.  

It was not a physical rest that I was not seeing.  It was a lack of inner rest, a lack of peace deep within. Even when I was at rest, I was not at rest.  I would waste time (for example on fb) but not rest.  I would dawdle, but not rest.  I would not declare "Ok, this is my rest time.  I am going to (whatever would rest my mind, body, heart, or spirit)".

When one substitutes time wasting for declared rest, what seems to result is still no rest, but now duties and guilt pile up.  It is amazing how, if I declare a rest of 30 minutes, after that 30 minutes I am RESTED.  If I just mindlessly procrastinate for 30 minutes, I know I have not rested, even if I do the exact same thing I would have done resting.  It is the intent, the single mindedness, the declaration of rest that provides rest.

The Lord has been leading me to rest because when I rest, I focus on Him, which is actually the ultimate goal.  Letting go of the stress of "not doing anything" has been incredibly difficult, but I think I am starting to get the hang of it.  :) 

Try it.  Draw near to Him on purpose and see how true rest is more filling than mere distraction :)

No comments:

Post a Comment